Remove this ad

Olsuviev

Chef de bataillon

Despotic Chastiser of the Serfs

Lead

Oct 6 15 12:06 AM

Tags : :

It probably escaped the notice of most of us as traffic has been slow recently, but the site was down again last week while Forumer changed servers.   B'tards.

Now, La Bricole has been going since 2010, and I have no intention of closing it down. Even if it is just a few people posting regulary, I'm happy to keep it going.  It's a cozy place!

Looking at the traffic records, we have periods of activity followed by the doldrums, but seeing as that reflects the pattern for my own hobby activity- and that of quite a few others I suspect- its not such a great deal.  And of course there are a lot of different forums, blogs, and other online activities out there competing for our attention these days.

Still, it is clear that numbers are wa-ay down since the disastrous migration, and as an administrator I find this new format harder to navigate and especially to customize, given the time available to me and my level of techie know-how.  

To cut to the chase- I've been considering re-booting the forum yet again to a format more familiar to most of us (for example WD3,  The Outpost, and what I can call the old "classic" La Bricole). That means going over to a new forum host.

It would take a bit of time to set up, but not that long,  The biggest hassle being that everyone would have to change bookmarks, and for me having to restore permissions, new boards, etc.  And for all of us it means setting up new avatars and so on.  Every time that happens, we lose members to attrition.  But on the other hand, it might be a good opportunity to get interest going again, to re-publicize the site, and to start fresh.

I would keep the old site up- all the time it is working- as an archive.  I don't think I could transfer over the old threads, but I could look into it.

Anyway its an idea, and it has its pros and cons. But it you think it is worth it, I don't mind doing it.  If everyone is happy with the present site, however, I can live with it too.

Your input is appreciated.

Last Edited By: Olsuviev Oct 6 15 12:14 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

von Peter himself

Chef de bataillon

#2 [url]

Oct 8 15 10:13 AM

Most learned Robert

It has got a bit moribund around here. Something fresh and new might provide a much needed kick start. I have a feeling that personal blogs have prehaps stolen some of the thunder of forums.

The move to Forumer did feel a bit like an out of the shadows kidnapping ... not that we can complain based on how much the faciolity costs I guess!!!  image

Salute
von Peter himself

Visit von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

Suvorov

Caporal

#3 [url]

Nov 5 15 1:02 AM

Being a new user my opinion doesn't hold much weight. Would love to see the forum continue and whatever it takes to revive it.

Exercises cultivate self-reliance - the foundation of courage. Train hard, fight easy.  

Quote    Reply   

Olsuviev

Chef de bataillon

#4 [url]

Nov 5 15 3:06 AM

Anyone who actively posts here has earned the right to express their opinion!

But for the forum to continue, it needs a) input, and b) to be reliable and easy to use for members and admin alike. Posts are way down- is it because people find the site difficult to access/ use, or have they moved on to new interests?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Gonsalvo

Maréchal des Logis

#5 [url]

Nov 6 15 3:19 AM

As a member new since the migration, I don't find the forum hard to access or read. I do have to remember to visit periodically, though. Email groups are better that way, but not good for graphic content due to security issues with attachments.

Mostly, the forum needs members and content. Even comments help. Reasonable reliability is of course also necessary. I am OK with staying or moving.

Quote    Reply   

Olsuviev

Chef de bataillon

#7 [url]

Jun 14 16 7:31 AM

Crypt-like, I would say...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help